Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A caring note from a friend

So a friend of mine sent me this note when I was feeling a little down about my new found career..

From Yamama Raza:
Its funny how our societies are always so demanding; right now, as I am trying to make a career, carve my way into a male dominated field, the criticism i get from some people (though the more desi traditional mindset) is that I have disregard for family values, don't care enough about tradition, i wouldnt make a good wife/mother coz I'm too career focussed etc. etc. Seems like women can never get anything right!

Don't let anyone take the joys of motherhood away from you, or make you feel you're missing out on life; when I talk about my future, I always say that when I have kids, Insha Allah, nothing will matter more; no career, no education, because being the mother is where I'm absolutely irreplaceable; there's always other people to sit at a desk and do a job, but another mom who can give what a mother has to give? no way!

My sister's one of those do it all moms, but even though she's a doctor and does 'important work of saving lives' as we tend to see it, she says that its just her job, her real joy, and her meaning in life is her daughter, and she's always wishing how she could spend just a little more time with her but can't coz she's still in the whole training program..you should feel blessed that you can watch her grow, and see all the little things she does-- babies are so fascinating!

I guess I just wanted to say that there's atleast one (currently non-domestic, career-oriented) woman out there, your age, who thinks you deserve more credit and recognition, and thinks its admirable that you are so dedicated to your child. Insha Allah Emaan will grow up to be an intelligent and sensitive child like her mother, and that will be a reflection of all your hard work, and im sure it will make you happier than any paycheck ever can. And there are, i assure you, many more women like me who do look at mothers and wives who do their job well with respect and even admiration. I mean, look at me, I'll have a master's degree soon, but I have NO idea what to do when a baby cries, in fact im not even confident enough to hold a very small one properly coz i'm afraid I'll do it wrong. You take care of something so delicate, you manage such a great responsibility and do it well, and well, you are appreciated- Paradise is under the mother's feet, not the high heels clicking down the office corridor!

You know from what I see with my peers and even myself, deep inside, alot of career-track women are also insecure, also feel insignificant, also feel like their lives have no meaning and are constantly searching. Maybe it is that insecurity that makes us want to look for better, and to push ourselves to grow. I hope you don't let anyone pull you down and make you doubt yourself.

No comments: