Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bad Muslimah - Aaminah Hernandez


Bad Muslimah

Because your scarf isn’t big enough
Or it’s too colorful
You wear a skirt and blouse
Or why do you wear such a severe black abaya
Sister, you attract attention
Because you were seen eating in a restaurant
With your niqab flipped up
And you don’t wear gloves & socks

Because it looks to me like
You get your eyebrows done
And a couple of hairs have slipped out
Onto your cheek
And your lip balm is colored
And kohl makes your

eyes look sexy to me

Because you aren’t married
And you said no-thank-you
When someone offered to set you up
With a man from a different minhaj
Or who already has 14 children and several divorces
Because you said “I have a wali”
And “I’m not in a rush”
Because while in school or your career
You must be meeting many men
But you refuse to marry
And be respectable

Because you married young
And moved away
And you seem different now
And he’s the wrong color
Or his culture is weird
Or he works in the wrong kind of job
And you could have done better
If you’d just waited
Don’t tell us you’re happy
How can you be happy with a man
Who makes less than $60,000 a year?

Click here for the rest: Aaminah Hernandez

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Asalaamu alaikum.

I appreciate that you like my poem, but you do NOT have permission to post it on your blog. Perhaps you did not see the copyright on my post, or didn't bother to read my page on copyright. Please remove this from your blog. You are welcome to post a link to my post, but nothing more. Shukran.